Senior back-end developerLondon
Become part of a world class technology team
You’re an expert Python developer and are completely confident in architecting, building and deploying web sites.
- Expert Python 3 knowledge
- Familiar with Node.js / Serverless
- Ideally familiar with GraphQL
- Solid understanding of the whole web stack, from server OS to client browser
- Experience with AWS and ideally also GAE
- Experience with infrastructure automation (ideally Terraform)
Our projects tend to be heavier on the front-end, so you’ll need to be comfortable being the sole back-end developer on a project, and also able to manage your time across multiple projects.
We don’t have any hard requirements on previous experience, but we will need to see a meaningful amount of your previous work. Ideally you can share some recent projects on GitHub.
What you’ll do
You will work as part of the development team in our London office to build back-end systems powering sites used by millions of people.
- Producing neat, tested, readable and well documented code
- Using infrastructure automation (mostly Terraform) to create and manage robust systems
- Managing integration and deployments with the front-end development team
Our projects are very diverse and our back-end developers probably have to be the most adaptable – one project might require building a complete stack on AWS, another might be a script running on a single computer for a physical installation.
In many cases our sites get a ton of traffic at once. Whether it’s from a Google homepage link, a TV commercial or a Tweet, our sites needs to be able to withstand the load and the scrutiny.
How we work
We don’t have a standard back-end approach because the requirements for projects can be so different – e.g. A project for Google might need to run on the GAE Standard environment, but on another project it might suffice to serve the site from S3/Cloudfront and use Lambda@Edge for dynamic content.
However these projects do have some common expectations:
- Every part of the system is rigorously tested (w.r.t. functionality, security and performance)
- Scaling is horizontal and automatic
- Continuous Integration (and often CD) using CircleCI
We’re very proud of our development team and we try hard to ensure they have everything they need to work effectively and grow professionally.
Aside from the benefits available to the whole office (Friday 3pm finish etc.), the development team enjoy:
- Dedicated quiet working area for developers
- Monthly “devcon” where everyone can share what they’ve been working on and any learnings
- Monthly team lunch (one with just the dev team, and another with the whole office)
- Library of programming books available for anyone to borrow
- Attend relevant conferences without using your holiday allowance
Pension plans & matching
Professional development funds
Friendly, talented colleagues
Does this sound like you?
for this job